Sunday, February 14, 2010

A few thoughts on Valentine's Day


I've never been a huge fan of Valentine's day, except maybe in elementary school when I had to reveal a crush or a few crushes through the cards that I would put in decorated shoe boxes of my classmates.

I think it's lovely to tell people how we feel about them, how much we love them, or how much they mean to us. However, I don't think it's necessary to have one day set aside to express those emotions.

Expectations are high and when my Valentine's day doesn't closely resemble the scenario set up in those stupid Kay Jewelry commercials, I feel cheated and disappointed. Of course, I'm not sure I wouldn't burst out laughing if my husband used some of those corny lines in such commercials (nothing against Kay Jewelers).

Perhaps, it was the Valentine's day the year after we were married that made me a bitter cynic. My husband whom I love and adore, forgot Valentine's day that year. How can you forget a holiday that is vomited all over every store, including the grocery stores and gas stations? I wonder that same thing! He has since redeemed himself, but I still am not convinced that this is a made up holiday that the card companies had to invent to boost sales after Christmas. Food for thought!

Despite the rant and the hype, I will take a moment to say I love "love" and I am a romantic at heart. And I wish my hubby did not need an excuse like February 14 to bring me flowers. He does other nice things for me all year long like wash my car when it is filthy, run to the store on his way home, and spend countless hours thinking of how much he loves me (oh, wait, that's the commercial talking again).

I love my family and my friends and tell them so quite often, like when I get off the phone with them. There is never a phone call with my children, hubby, parents, bestie, etc that I don't end it with "I love you". I know it makes some people uncomfortable to say it back, but in a world of impatience, self-centeredness, and hurt the people that I love need to hear it and I need to say it.

In closing, I LOVE YOU on Valentine's day and every other day of the year!

No comments: