Friday, March 5, 2010

A Girl and Her Dad




I am self-proclaimed daddy's girl. When I was growing up, my dad was always there and although I am a parent now, he's still always there. Don't get me wrong, my mom is great too, but I'll save her for the next post.

My dad was at every practice, every game, every riding lesson. He went on every field trip and chaperoned every church camp the youth group went on. Now, that I'm a parent of a tween I understand the need to be with her as much as possible.

My dad is an amazing guy who will stop at nothing to protect his family. He loves his grandkids and his son-in-law, which makes my life so much sweeter.

I used to think he was perfect. My dad could do no wrong in my eyes. Of course, as I got older I realized he wasn't perfect, but he did an excellent job as a parent. I followed him around the house "helping" with projects just to be near him. Anyone who knows my dad knows he's got a great sense of humor and is very loud and outgoing. He yells a lot, but even when he was yelling I never doubted how much he loved me!

So, today and everyday, I am thankful for Tom Hoffman and even at 34 I'm a daddy's girl. Sometimes I don't tell him enough how much I love him and my mom, so I love you, Dad and I miss living close by, but you're always with me no matter where I am because a daughter's love spans time and miles.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

I love Tom too! He has a heart of gold and would do anything for anyone or thing [remember the turtle for instance]. He always has a joke or funny line and love is written ALL OVER his face when you or the kids are mentioned or appear. So glad that Tom is my friend and that he is your dad Kris.
LOVE YOU ALL,
Ro

Anonymous said...

There was nothing more important in my life than you and Mom. You have always been my shining star. I could have been promoted with more hours at work, who cares, I could have made more money, so what. The trade off was not worth it, I have memories and my family, the career is gone. I fell short of doing my best, but not for lack of trying and you still turned out to be a wonderful daughter, mother, wife etc.(Mom had lots to do with that just think if you would have turned out exactly like me, there's a frightening thought, a Tom clone?) From the day I first held you to now and beyond I have been and always will be proud of you, all fathers should have been as lucky as I was to raise a child that gave them zero problems. I'm glad you still consider yourself Daddy's Girl, because of all of the things I have done in life, all of the titles I have held in the Navy and in my many career stops, "Kris' Dad" is the one that is at the very top of the list. Thank you for being who you are, thanks for still loving Mom and I even though at times it seemed we tried to screw you up (thank God for therapy, don't worry, now you are getting a shot at screwing your kids up!) Keep a little of the Hoffman spirit (insanity?) pass a little on to Annie, Isabelle and Charlie it will make a good balance to the Pico rational side. I should end this with a Tomism but I won't, I will only tell you that I love you. Dad